Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I traded dry heat for...

...flies. I have never seen more flies than I have in the two-ish weeks we have lived here. It is ridiculous. Every. Time. I open a door they invade and despite searching Walmart from top to bottom I haven't been able to find a fly swatter.

Thank goodness for Bonnie the Wonder Dog. By the end of every day, BTWD has found and annihilated every fly that has invaded my house. Not joking! She is fast and relentless. It's like cats with and a laser pointer! She stalks them and takes them out. It is for this reason alone that I can forgive her for peeing on the carpet a few times since we moved in. :o)

Other than the flies things are good. The girls and I are gradually adjusting to the time change (2 hours ahead of Vegas) and I am slowly unpacking the rest of our stuff as I go. Thankfully I haven't been sick with this pregnancy yet and I am holding out hope that I will get lucky and not be sick at all. It would be very nice.

So...PICTURES! I took some of the house and I am finally now getting them up. So here you go! (Please ignore the insane mess that is my house. #1 We just moved in, and #2 I have small children and a husband which make it always look like we just moved in.)

Below: Our living room with our new TV Stand/entertainment center (because our old one was broken in the move). It's beautiful. I know.

Our new couch. We left our old, broken down couch behind.


The rest of the living room including Cady and our insanely old recliner that still works like a dream. There is a powder/half bath to the right there and a under the stairs storage closet to the left.


My craft/brady's computer room and the dining room. Still lots of unpacking to do.


The Dining room and the door to the back yard. We had to get a new kitchen table. Our old one was round and it was impossible to get around it and open the door to the back or get to the kitchen...it was just crazy so my mom hauled the table and chairs back with her and we found this beauty at the Nebraska Furniture Mart. More on that later.


One half of the kitchen...


...and the other half.


The laundry room, which houses my furnace, ducting, and other stuff that I have no clue about...


...and it also houses my washer and dryer that we had to buy the day we moved in...cause the house didn't come with them...my mom and I put in the shelves on our own as well.


Upstairs we find the master bed room. This is easily the BIGGEST room in the house. It is insane how big it is. There is a closet with shelves in the room, a postage stamp of a bathroom and then a walk-in closet as well. Plenty of room for the new little one to share with us for a bit though.


Cady's room.


The view of the back yard from the spare room. I'll take more of the back yard later.



The spare bedroom...or the "we don't know where to put this stuff yet" room.


The kids/guest bathroom.


Rory's room.


And now for the best room in the house. There is a linen closet in the upstairs area as well as a little computer nook/desk. Next to the master there is another door. We were confused at first, but it is a...closet...with it's own window. Yeah. Really. It is at least 10 feet deep and 5 feet wide. My sister named it "Harry Potter's Nook" and I think I will stick with that. All the kids toys that we don't want crowding their rooms and the rest of the house are in here.


And thats about it for the house. We really like it, though I think the downstairs could be a bit better in layout. It will certainly do for the next two years at least. You will notice that we had to pick up a few pieces of new furniture. Not everything survived the move but thankfully everything that was important did. We get reimbursed for the stuff they moved that didn't make it so we didn't feel to bad about having to replace it. We got the TV stand, bookshelf and table and chairs at the Nebraska Furniture Mart. The Nebraska Furniture Mart is INSANE. They claim to be the biggest furniture outlet in the USA and I believe them. I thought Ikea was big. This place is like five Ikea's. No I am not kidding. There are at least five HUGE warehouses filled with furniture, electronics, computers, etc. We got really good deals on everything as well. They are very organized and have one whole warehouse dedicated to pickup. It was awesome. You can check them out online too. It's totally an experience.

We are gradually getting our bearings in the city as well. It's very green here and we don't have a sprinkler system. We had to get hoses and sprinklers and I have to remember to water the lawns, tree and flowers everyday. Well except the days it rains. Trash comes once a week and we have one whole can that is dedicated to "yard waste only." We had to buy a lawn mower. It's pretty awesome. :o) It got pretty hot today (100 degrees with some pretty crazy humidity) but for the most part it has been in the low 90s and 80s which feels like heaven to me after many a summer in Las Vegas. I have a feeling that I will be pretty cranky come winter though. Me and snow aren't exactly on "friendly" terms. Winter is gonna suck for me.

We are supposed to be here for at least two years, per Brady's orders, but we recently found out that most people in Brady's job end up here for a lot longer. So this could be our home for a good many years if we are lucky. I'm not looking forward to moving again anytime soon.






So far we really like it here in Nebraska. Well, minus the flies. The flies could go to...somewhere else. :o) Hope this post finds everyone happy and healthy and enjoying your summer!

2 comments:

Amanda J said...

It looks like a nice place!! I'm jealous you get to live in the midwest. I wish I could move back, but we will be forever stuck in Vegas! Are you guys living on or off base?

Kennedy said...

We live in base housing, but it is off base. We do get patrolled by security forces though so that is good and everyone living in here is military. It's a wonderful neighborhood. There are a ton of little parks in the community and the elementary school is on the same street as we are two blocks down.