Friday, September 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Rory

Three years ago today I had a baby girl.


My pregnancy with her was my easiest.  I was sick in the beginning, because I always am, but the rest of the time went by way to fast.  Then, during the last month I started having really bad pain in my hips when I walked.  It got worse before to long and I was so ready for the baby to come.


My Doctor, God bless his soul, could tell and offered to induce me.  He explained that I was favorable (already at a 3 and about 75%) and he was sure that I would take well to the medicine and things would go perfectly.  He was a good doctor and I trusted him.  So I asked when we could schedule.  His only opening that week that worked with the hospital was September 2nd.


I did try to get things going on my own the weekend before my induction.  Caster Oil got some contractions started, but nothing that was lasting.  So at 11:45pm on the 1st of September, 2008, Brady and I left a sleeping Cadence in the care of my wonderful mother and headed to the hospital to have a baby.


We were excited to meet her.  The excitement didn't have the biting edge to it that we experienced when we had Cadence.  This time we had a pretty good idea of what to expect and so this ride to the hospital was much calmer than our first. 


We got into a room by 12:15am and the paperwork insanity began.  So much to sign, read, understand, and sign again.  The nurse who placed my IV took several tries.  I hate that part the most.  She finally listened to me and place it in the back of my hand.  It's where it always ends up, but everyone always thinks they are the IV placing wonders of the universe and will get it in my arm.  Sigh. 


Finally, at around 2am they started me on the meds.  Mountain View isn't a bad hospital, but they do things "by the books" unless you force them not to.  I didn't know at the time that most hospitals start you on way to high of a dosage. Instead of starting at a low dose and working their way up to good contractions, they start at a ridiculously high dose and constantly have to turn it up and down, which can cause all kinds of baby and mommy issues and why a good number of babies go into distress and have to be removed via c-section.  I didn't know any of this until much later.


I was at a four quickly and they broke my water.  Shortly after I was begging for an epidural.  The contractions were insane.  The hospital was busy so I had to wait.  I finally got it and had some peace while my body did it's thing.


Then the nurse, wanting to hurry things along, upped the pit a bit.  Jerk move. I had already gone from a 4 to a 6 in two hours which was VERY good time.  My body was already hurrying.  After about 30 minutes on the increased pit my epidural couldn't keep up and I was feeling a LOT of pressure and a LOT of pain again.  By then I was at a 7.  The nurse promised that she would send in someone to fix my epidural, but he didn't get there very fast.  I was pissed.  All I wanted to do was MOVE to get in a better position but my legs were useless.  He gave me a boost and that helped, but not much.


Then of course the baby's heart rate started to drop with each contraction.  It was terrifying hearing her little heart beat all but stop.  The nurse turned the pit off completely and that solved that problem.  She warned me that my labor would stall and things could get ugly.  Good thing my body new what it was doing.  It kept right on going, and very soon it was time to push.  I knew it was time.  My body was pushing all on it's own with out any say from me.


Nurse kept telling me to stop pushing.  I told her I was trying but the Doctor had better hurry.


Then the Doctor was there.


Brady was holding my leg and telling me how awesome I was doing.  Bless the man, he is such a comfort to me.  Just having him there in the room makes things better.  Six quick pushes and at 10:14am out she came, screaming her pretty little head off!  The Doctor put her up on my chest and I remember how amazing that moment felt.  She took a piece of my heart that day and will have it forever.


One look at this baby and I knew the name her father had picked was perfect.


She was Rory.  My beautiful, spunky, LOUD Rory.


I was much bossier with the nurses this time and she stayed with me and was nursed right away.  She was a greedy eater.  She needed to be since she was small.  Healthy but small.


She is still small.  Her personality more than makes up for that though.


I looked at her this morning and I felt myself tear up, remembering that moment the Doctor placed her in my arms and I looked into her dark eyes for the first time.


She has grown so much, and we see glimpses of the amazing woman she will be. Fearless, gentle and kind. Amazing, beautiful and confident.  My goofy Rory.  My sweet Rory.





Happy 3rd Birthday Rory-Girl!

2 comments:

Suzi said...

Well, this gave me a good cry! I love this girl so much.
Happy Birthday, Rory :o)
Grandma Suzi

Amanda J said...

Wow, I can't believe she's already 3!